Brett Climo Forum

Forum about the Australian actor Brett Climo
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interview David Blake 2009 by Mirjam & Joyce!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Ok people! I've asked Liz to help me out with the interview that David has given to Mirjam and Joyce (February 2009) and now I'm happy to say; here it is!!
The pieces in blue are the exact things David has said. Enjoy!

David compares Batavia with the film ‘Seven’ in style, referring to it as a thriller rather than a horror.
It’s a work of fiction in the present but a lot of historical research went into the parts set in the past.
He is filming a documentary at the same time as Batavia and this will go into the exhibit at the Western Australia Museum.
Western Australia is barren but beautiful. Geraldton is ‘truly unique and will look amazing with a cinematic treatment’
The islands are remote – 3 hours into the Indian Ocean by boat

Questions & Answers

M&J - Did you need permission to film?
DB – ‘Yes, from the local Government and the fisheries in WA, everyone was interested in the story being told.’

M&J – Did you pick Brett for ‘Coop?’
DB – Yes ‘I had him from day 1 to do that, Brett has great range and will have fun with the role. He’ll be great’
‘Coop is a major role – the character needs to be like a coiled snake. The kind of character you would take a couple of steps back from’
‘Brett’s physicality is so striking so the character will be quite menacing’
‘He is quiet but ready to strike and there are a couple of scenes where he explodes and it’s quite frightening’
‘You will be kind of hoping ‘that guy (Brett) gets shot’ as he’s so nasty. Audiences will want to ‘smack him one.’
‘Coop is the present day link to the past (he is a fictional character). Coop is the bad guy but not for the reasons you think’

M&J – How did you get Andie McDowall involved?
DB – ‘She plays the female lead, she was originally written as an American Professor; I wanted the film to have an International flavour. You need Hollywood actors to have the potential to break the American markets. She’s a great actress, she’s amazing’

M&J – Are you interested in History and why did you chose this story?
DB – ‘A client asked ‘what next?’ at the end of L&F, and history got mentioned, then Batavia. I thought it was interesting and remember seeing a documentary years ago and the name stuck in my mind for some reason and that it was about a ship. I started some research and realised that it was a ‘very cool story’ and started to think about how it could be told.’
‘I realised that it had to be set in the present day as the period stuff can turn some people off. I didn’t specifically set out to tell and Australian story as it’s really not, its more of a Dutch story – there is even evidence of Dutch words being used in the local Aboriginal tribes and there are remains of some of the Batavia victims in museums in WA’

M&J – Describe Brett?
DB – ‘Very conscientious, very organic, he takes it seriously, he’s a perfectionist, I just kind of ‘let him go’ when filming and just let him ‘do his thing’
I got him and Sharn to hang out about a week before filming started on L&F so they had a rapport. Brett was a joy to work with; he doesn’t need a lot of direction.
Brett was very collaborative (suggesting the school scene) and I consider myself lucky and very privileged to work with him and am looking forward to working with him again’

M&J – Is ‘Batavia’ your dream film to make?
DB – ‘It has potential, it’s a big story and I hope it does OK as I hope to do 2 sequels so the 1st needs to be successful’

M&J – Who was the greatest influence on you?
DB – ‘My wife and kids definitely and also a story a 5 year old that got killed that I discovered while doing research for this film. I have lots of influences, people, and places’
‘You must treat audiences with respect, they have intelligence’

M&J – What did you like about The Netherlands?
DB – ‘The history was amazing and I saw the replica of the Batavia’

M&J – If you could only listen to 1 song for the rest of your life – what would it be?
DB – ‘No idea’ – He goes on to say that he likes Cold Play and Snow Patrol and used to work with Keith Urban (who is married to Nicole Kidman) He used to work in Brisbane for a band called ‘Rusty and the Ayers Rockettes’ who were a cover band and Keith Urban supported them.

M&J – What would you be if not a Director?
DB – ‘probably something to do with story telling’

M&J – Who would you like to work with in the future?
DB – ‘Heaps, people that aren’t stars. Brett should get more work – he is a star. Scott Glenn, Andie McDowall. People who are good at it, no necessarily the big celebrities, maybe Geoffrey Rush? He’s a great actor.’

The 2nd Unit from the film ‘Australia’ is working on David’s film.

M&J – What’s a typical day in your life?
DB – ‘There is nothing typical! Usually I am juggling the phone on an overseas call and changing nappies! I consider myself blessed.’

At this point David talks about the tragedy of the recent bushfires and says he is lucky that none of his family or friends were affected.

M&J – Do you want to stay a Director until you retire?
DB – ‘I can’t afford to retire! I plan to keep going as long as I can, I am very fortunate and it’s a very humbling experience to be able to do what I do’

M&J – Was L&F big in Australia?
DB – ‘No it was small; I would do things differently with Batavia and am hoping for a better result. I was disappointed that more people didn’t get to see the work of Brett, Sharn and all the others. People really should see Brett’s work. I have learnt from the experience’

Multiple Choice questions.

Sydney or Melbourne? – Melbourne
Rebecca Gibney or Nicole Kidman? – ‘Rebecca is amazing but haven’t worked with Nicole’ (he doesn’t give an answer to this one)
Wine or Beer? – Initially says ‘either’ but then changes his mind and says wine.
Early Bird/ Night Owl? – Early bird – up early and goes to bed early.
Audi or Mercedes? – ‘Audi’
Soccer or Tennis? – ‘Tennis’
Reading or Watching TV? – ‘Reading’
Andre Rieu or Kylie Minogue – ‘Kylie’
Love or Friendship? – initially says ‘both’ but then says ‘love’
Thriller or Love Story? – ‘Love Story’
All Saints or City Homicide? – ‘City Homicide’
Tea or Coffee? – ‘Tea’
Jeans or Suit? – ‘Jeans’

M&J than asked if Brett would chose Jeans or a suit and David says ‘Suit, he’s very stylish and classy’

This was the way the interview went. Here a few caps to get a better picture on how he's like:

Post subject: Re: Interview David Blake 2009 by Mirjam & Joyce!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

And now I finally had the time to edit the complete interview and place it on youtube. I also have added Dutch subtitles so it might be easier to completely get what he's saying.
I had to cut the interview in 2 parts. Here's the first part:

The second part is still uploading at this time... so I'll place it here later on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

And here's the 2nd part:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 am 

David Blake came to Geraldton and took investors money approximately $1 million and disappeared. He has left a scar on the film industry to ever make a movie on the Batavia within the community. He is declared bankrupt but has never disclosed all debts in full. We would not trust this person as no receipts were given nor was any money placed in a trust account.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

---------
Blakerevenge wrote:
David Blake came to Geraldton and took investors money approximately $1 million and disappeared. He has left a scar on the film industry to ever make a movie on the Batavia within the community. He is declared bankrupt but has never disclosed all debts in full. We would not trust this person as no receipts were given nor was any money placed in a trust account.

I'm really sorry to hear he has done such a thing! I really think the story about the Batavia is interesting enough to make a film about it... would love to see that one day. But after what he has done that would be a hard thing to pull off now I guess.